The Ocean Foundation
Mark J. Spalding, President of The Ocean Foundation is a member of the Ocean Studies Board of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (USA). He is serving on the Sargasso Sea Commission. Mark is a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Blue Economy at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. And, he is an Advisor to the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy. In addition, he serves as the advisor to the Rockefeller Ocean Strategy (an unprecedented ocean-centric investment fund) and is a member of the Pool of Experts for the UN World Ocean Assessment. He designed the first-ever blue carbon offset program, SeaGrass Grow. Mark is an expert on international environmental policy and law, ocean policy and law, and coastal and marine philanthropy.
Mark wrote After the Big Storm: What Next? for National Geographic’s NewsWatch on May 2, 2013.
Mark has also written numerous posts for the Ocean Foundation’s blog, including:
- Rebuilding for Mother Ocean…, May 11, 2020
- Our Response to COVID-19, April 27, 2020
- Invest in a Healthy Coastal Ecosystem, April 22, 2020
- Cleaner Air, Cleaner Ocean, April 20, 2020
- Innovative solution of blue carbon helps manatees, dugongs, sea turtles, sea horses and many fish species, April 10, 2013
- Catch Shares: Not the Silver Bullet They Hoped For, March 13, 2013
- Deadly Serious: Acid Oceans and What We Must Do, October 8, 2012